25 July 2007

Tour Blog 3.0

I left Chicago on Wednesday afternoon and had the day off before my Thursday show at Frankies in Toledo. I was pretty excited about this gig as I knew that I could expect a good turnout due to the success of the ticket pre-sale. I spent my first two years of undergraduate education at nearby BGSU and had recently seen a lot of my friends from the BGMC at a 4th of July party so I knew that many of them would be around for the show. Truth be told, this was one of the most fun (if not the most fun) shows that I've ever played. Pretty much everyone in the room was my friend or acquantance (JC flew in from LA for the show) and I played for an hour and a half. I've never been heckled by friends before, but it made for a good time. I even had some people singing along, and harmonies at that! The people at the club were quite pleased too and I think it's pretty much a given that I'll be back in Toledo soon.

That leaves us with one last show...the Berkley Front. I was asked to play this show by my friends the Wednesdees and I was the first of three acts. I played to a room largley full of strangers (which is a good thing) and was well received. I forced my friend Ryan Morgan to come on stage with me to sing harmonies on a couple of songs ("Stuck In a Rut" and Radiohead's "No Surprises") and they sounded pretty damn good if I do say so myself...especially considering that we worked them up about 5 minutes before I went on. I also tried out a new percussive strategy during this show that I think I'd like to make a regular part of my performance. Though it's not a particularly ground-breaking idea, I put a tambourine on the ground and stomped on it for some added effect and rhythmic support. This is definitely something I'd like to keep up (because it sounded cool) and may try to alter it in some way by adding a kick drummy thing or something. I don't know...I guess you'll just have to come see me play to find out.

So, there you have it. My three-part-though-it-could-have-been-done-in-one-long-part overdue tour blog. I hope it was informative and gave you some interesting insight into my trip back to the Midwest. If not, I apologize and I'll try better next time. Until then I must bid you adieu.

Thanks so much for coming to any number of the shows. It is very much appreciated and I hope to see you soon.

Aloha means goodbye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tearin' up Toledo!! proud of you, kiddo

Anonymous said...

*Finally finishes the epic tale*
*Fondly remembers concerts*
*Slowly stands*
*Begins to slow clap as a single tear falls*
*The rest of the room that just now presented itself joins in and shouts of "beautiful" and "timeless" can be heard*


...so uhhh nice blog.