24 February 2007

12 > 6 x 2

I bought new strings for my 12-string guitar about 4 (maybe 5) months ago and have been putting off putting them on (that sounds weird) ever since. There's just so many of them. I hate restringing 6 strings, but 12?!? Who wants to deal with that? Sure the octave strings sound neat, but it's a little too much maintenance sometimes.

Anyhow, today I was/am bored as hell and decided that it would be a good day to restring both the 12-string and my 6-string. Now you would think that it would take twice as long to restring a 12-string than it would a standard guitar, but you'd be wrong. The 12-string took for-e-ver to do. I nearly got through Blur's The Best of CD in its entirety in the time that it took me to restring both guitars.

So, yeah, anyway my point is that I'm never going to take the strings off the 12-string and am just going to throw the guitar away once they all break off. So if any of you want a free 12-string guitar just let me know and I'll keep you in mind when the strings disintegrate.

1 comment:

az said...

12 string guitars intimidate me. i have trouble staying focused with only six strings. having all those octaves there make my head spin. i can't re-string a normal guitar. i applaud your efforts, but i think you should keep the guitar. it may come in handy somewhere down the road in your blossoming career. then you can pay someone to restring it.